Hotel Mas Pelegri is set in the midst of the Province of Girona, Catalonia, Spain. The Hotel allows easy reach by bike to the foothills and high mountains of the Pyrenees, the Volcanic national park, the rolling countryside between the Pyrenees, the Gavarres and to the beaches and the coves of the Med. In every direction there are beautiful roads and trails. We have over 100 routes from the door. Route maps, GPS downloads for garmins and smartphones and emergency back up are included with every stay.
Hotel Mas Pelegri is close to the small town of Serinya with its prehistoric caves and is between the larger towns of Banyoles with its pristine aquifer lake and the medieval town of Besalu. Figueres, famous for Dali’s Museu de Teatre, Historic Girona and Olot are all within easy reach, just 25 mins drive away and there is a direct bus 5x a day to Barcelona, making day trips very easy.
Other activities available close to Hotel Mas Pelegri include the riding centre of Hipica Equinatur (1km), kayaking, ropes & zip lines (20 mins drive or bikeable), canyoning, via ferrate, golf (3 courses within 20 mins drive), tennis, paintball, quadbike, painting and art classes, wine and olive oil tasting.
In the Province of Girona we have great high speed train links to Barcelona, Madrid, Paris and beyond. Paris is just 5 hours train ride away from the Figueres Vilafant station which is 20 mins drive from the Hotels door. You can also get high speed trains from London and other Northern European capitals via Valence in France to Figueres (Barcelona line), making it easier than ever to travel by high speed train around Europe.
For airports you have the option of Girona (Ryanair, Thomson, Jet2, Transavia and Smartwings)(30 mins drive), Barcelona (1 hour 40 mins drive) or Perpignan airport (1 hour drive). Carcassonne, Montpellier and Bezier airports are also options, as they are less than 2 hours drive from the Hotel. There are also bus and train links with Barcelona airport up to Girona and bus links from Barcelona and Girona to Serinya. We offer free pickups from the Serinya bus stop. We can also offer transfers an an extra from Girona and Barcelona airport and Figueres and Girona bus and train stations.
At Girona Cycling S.L. and Hotel Mas Pelegri we want to reduce our environmental impact and also strengthen the local economy, so we have put in place the following policies and standards. If you have any other recommendations about how we can improve on this we would be very happy to hear from you.
1. Hotel Mas Pelegri has been rebuilt with the environment in mind. The historic building has been rebuilt in the old ways but with added insulation, so it stays warm in winter but cool in Summer. The walls are 60cm thick, so slowly heat up in the Summer and then keep their heat through the winter. This system works really well, so you do not need AC. People are always amazed how cool it is inside during the Summer. We have shutters fitted to all the windows, so we can shut the shutters in the Summer to prevent the sun warming up the rooms. As the walls are really thick and as we have thought about window placement, this means in the Summer the sun misses the south facing windows due to the sun height, but in the winter can warm up the rooms as the sun is at a lower height and therefore shines in.
2. We think about the water and power usage and what waste we are producing. We have a solar pool cover and a solar system to heat the outdoor pool reduce water wastage. This means our pool is swimmable from March through to November. All light bulbs are eco and hair dryers are all less than 1kw. We research each product and buy the ones that use the least amount of power but still function well. We run the whole of Mas Pelegri on 4kw, but can up the power automatically for example if everyone was to turn on their hair dryers at the same time. We are off grid, but do not be scared, most people do not even notice. We plant local plants like olives and lavender that require little watering. We have left the wood at the back of the property that we look after and harvest, but still keep the healthy trees. The harvested wood is then used in the wood burning stoves. We have underfloor heating as in the winter the nights can be a little chilly.
3. All waste is divided and what can be recycled is recycled. All of our septic waste water goes through a multi-container septic tank which technically produces drinkable water at the end. We water our garden from the old "cisternas" which are supplied by rain water from the roof.
4. We aim to strengthen the local economy, so we use local companies for the laundry, garden maintenance, electrician, mechanics, accountants, eggs, butcher etc.
All taxes are paid here into the Spanish economy. Hotel Mas Pelegri is owned by a Spanish registered company, Girona Cycling S.L, run by Fiona & Gareth. We send guests to the local restaurants, bakeries and shops. We also advertise and support the other local adventure companies in the area. For example we work closely with Fang Aventura (who offer paint balling, quad biking, canyoning and other adventure activities), and Hipica Equinatur (the local horse riding stables that offer horse treks and also riding lessons). It is important to us that all the local companies thrive and if we can all work together we can provide a good local economy without the need for people to leave the countryside to move to the big cities for work. In doing this we also provide a great service to our clients. So that when they come to Mas Pelegri they can enjoy a variety of activities and have a great service.
5. Where we can, we buy local in-season produce, so for example Figueres onions, apples and pears from local orchards, organic sheeps yoghurts from local farms.
We also buy local wines. Here local produce is labelled as zero km. We support the local restaurants, by booking tables for our clients. We send our clients to the best local shops if they require anything and let them know the local market days etc.