Possible plan for a Long Distance Cycling Training Camp.
- Arrive at Hotel Mas Pelegri. Welcome. Lunch. Chance to build bikes or be fitted to your rental bike. Bike fit session if required. Then an easy 1 to 2 hour ride. Welcome drink and time to go over the planned weeks riding. Freshly cook 3 course dinner at Hotel Mas Pelegri.
- Ride and Dali's Museu De Teatre - Morning ride around the beautiful rolling countryside of the Pla D'Estany (the land of the lake) visiting the ancient stone villages, Romanesque churches and enjoying the fields of sunflowers or poppies depending on the season. You may possibly visit a local Sunday festival such as the Crespia honey or the Ventallo olive oil festival. In the afternoon after lunch you will visit Dali's Museu de Teatre in Figueres. Return to Hotel Mas Pelegri for dinner.
- Roman And Greek Ruins Bike Tour - Sant Marti D'Empuries beach loop. This is a very pretty route, which winds through the rolling countryside of the Pla D'Estany before reaching the beautiful small village of Sant Marti D'Empuries, with its sandy beach and the spectacular Greek and Roman ruins of Empuries. Enjoy lunch and a chance for a dip in the Med and a visit to the ancient ruins, before returning via a different rolling route back to Hotel Mas Pelegri. Evening and dinner out in the old town of Girona. Route is approximately 100kms but can be adapted depending on your requirements.
- Dali's Cap de Creus - This is a beautiful bike ride around the Cap de Creus, the area that influenced Dali's paintings. This is where the Pyrenees descends into the Med, so there are small little islands dotted off the coast. We will start the ride in the wine growing area of the Alt Emporda with its rolling hills and olive and wine groves. You will then climb up to the Monastery of St Pere de Rodes, which is 10th century and well worth a visit. From here you will see wonderful views over the Pyrenees. You will then descend to the Med and visit Cadaques for lunch and view Dali's Fishermans studio. We can also arrange a visit and tasting of wine and olive oil. Return to Hotel Mas Pelegri to relax and enjoy a 3 course evening dinner.
- Volcanic National Park & Local Markets - First enjoy a lovely descent down to the lake at Banyoles with a chance to visit its ancient weekly Wednesday market. You will then wind your way up into the volcanic national park visiting Santa Pau, which is famous for its white beans. These are dormant volcanoes, rather than extinct, although they have not erupted for 12,000 years. You will then enjoy a lovely descent into Olot, with the Pyrenees as its backdrop. From Olot you head for Sant Joan les Fonts, famous for its yearly witches festival. You then enter Castell Follit de la Roca and do not be worried by the sharp left hand turn in the village as if not the road would disappear over the granite cliff face. You then head for Montagut and Tortella, small villages in the foothills of the Pyreenean mountains. You can also take a detour to the beautiful bridge and rock pools close to Montagut, giving you a chance to dip into the coll mountain waters and cool off. From Tortella you will head to the beautiful medieval town of Besalu with its ancient right-angled bridge and sleepy stone paved streets. Lunch will be in Besalu at a wonderful local restaurant. There is then a short climb back up to Hotel Mas Pelegri, with time to relax by the pool before an evening out in the city of Girona.
- Optional Day Trip To Barcelona or Montserrat or another amazing bike route - On this day you will visit La Sagrada de Familia, Parc Guell and Passeig de Gracia with its interesting architecture. You will also get the chance to visit Las Ramblas, the food market, and other sites depending on your interests and time available.
- The Loop Of The Angels - This is a beautiful loop visiting old town Girona, ancient stone villages and includes climbing over Els Angels. Lunch can either by in Girona or up at the top in the restaurant in the converted convent of Els Angels. You will then return to Hotel Mas Pelegri for a relax by the pool and a freshly cooked 3 course evening dinner.
- Departure - Depart to Barcelona or Girona airports for your flight home.